Thursday, 17 October 2013

Debt and Money!

Our Local Body Elections have now come and gone – until next time.  One ousted Councilor described his and others failure to get back in as a “tsunami of discontent”.  People seem to be saying it was the debt issue that drove the change. 

It got me thinking!  About money.  As surprised as some might be, the church doesn't always think and talk about it.  But we do know that money is an incredible tool and can accomplish amazing things.  Imagine what we could do for our families if we had more money.  Too often we are limited because we don’t have the money.  Too often we’re limited because we don’t have the right attitude and the right actions for our money - especially what we think others should do with it!

Money has great ability to bless, influence, and make a difference.  Money as Kevin Gerald says, is “A Dominion Certificate”.  Money says to land, - I can own you.  Money says to vision, - I can fulfill you.  Money says to needs, - I can meet you.  Money says to those bills, - I can cancel you out!  Money says to education, - I can put you through University.  Money says to retirement, - I can set you up sufficiently.  Money says to diseases - I can cure you!  Money says to low-income housing - I can build you.  In fact, we need money for those things. 


So it is understandable that we want to do many of these admirable things, and sometimes we borrow money to do that.  The problem is when that level of debt is unmanageable.  That’s true in business and personally.  A mortgage can be a good thing and the only way we’ll get into the market.  But when servicing that mortgage puts undue pressure on the necessities of life, then, well, maybe it wasn't such a good decision.  Let’s be wise with our money – at all levels – so that our families are free to grow into mature fiscally savvy men and women who by our example will have enough to make a difference to their lives and those around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment